As the song goes, "I love to praise His name," but what I don't love are the praise Nazis...er, excuse me, praise and worship leaders. I cannot, for the life of me, figure out why some praise leaders spend so much time trying to get the people involved. If there are some in the congregation sitting, with arms folded and legs crossed, I say by all means let them. If they choose not to give honor where honor is due, fine. We all have a rock assigned to us and Luke tells us that Jesus says “If they [His followers] kept quiet, the stones along the road would burst into cheers!” (19:40 NLT). I remember a time I was really upset with God, I was on the verge of giving up and I had maybe a drop of hope left in me. Even when I was going through that difficult season, something in me wouldn't let me stay home on Sunday. That same something would not let me sit with my hand in my lap, ankles crossed while praise and worship was going forth. God is too good to me; even when all I can see is my own grief and discomfort.
I tend to think along the lines of "if I don't like it, what makes me think God will?" For example, what if someone was brought to me, against his will, arm pinned behind his back, forced to say, "You sure look pretty today"? If it's obvious that he doesn't want to give me this compliment, it's not going to make me feel good. In fact, it will probably make me feel really bad. God does not want a "Simon says" praise. He wants a willful, conscious, free praise.
God is wonderful in how He helps us to understand things. A stone is probably one of the most common objects on the planet. They are everywhere: in the city, in the country, in the woods, near the water - everywhere. Just the thought that such a simple, inanimate thing would make a noise if I refuse to say "Hallelujah" or "Thank you, Lord" is enough to get me to open my mouth. And the beauty of praise is it is not limited to the saints. Let everything that has breath praise the Lord. Praise the Lord (Psalm 150:6 NIV). Have you ever wondered why a dog barks nonstop seemingly for nothing? He's praising the Lord. The bird that sits on your window sill, chirping and chirping hours before you have to wake up is also praising the Lord.
There's another song that says, "Ain't gone let no rock out praise me. Ain't gone let it sing in my place." And while I am not a fan of its grammatical shortcomings, I do appreciate the sentiment. Nothing is going to stop my praise. Not you, not my circumstances, not even me. A "glory glory glory!" has taken permanent residence in my heart.
He inhabits our praise (Psalm 22:3) so let Him come on in and stay for a while.
No comments:
Post a Comment