For the past couple of days I've been semi-obsessed with the virtuous woman (Proverbs 31:10-31). It all started with me thinking about my relationship status. Now don't get me wrong, I'm perfectly happy as I am: single with no prospects, interests, or crushes. And I know for some that may sound pitiful but that's just the way it is. I've learned that if you force something where it doesn't belong, something is going to break. So if I force a relationship in a season where it does not belong, something's going to break--my heart, my spirit, my willpower. I'd like to keep that from happening and since it is in my power to do so, I will.I want to be a wife and mother, but above that, I want to be a good wife and mother; a Godly wife and mother...someday. When God deems me ready. Last week as my singleness drifted across my mind like a feather in the wind, I had an interesting thought: I can't be in a relationship right now as I am. I won't add any value to his life. Well I guess it's not so much interesting as it is sad. But it makes perfect sense to me. I would like to contribute something to a relationship. I want to be like the Proverbs 31 woman people are always bragging about, whose "...worth [is] far above rubies." Sounds like she's invaluable, doesn't it?
After I read it for the umpteenth time, in multiple translations one question plagued me: how is this woman so perfect? No one is that perfect. Naturally I asked my Father about this super woman and He revealed something that has helped me tremendously.
This woman was not perfect. She simply didn't break character. Think about Saturday Night Live, if something unusual happens, if the actor is good, he or she will not break character. Even if a pink elephant tip-toed across the stage wearing a neon yellow tutu, they stay true to form. This isn't saying the virtuous woman is a fake. God revealed that yes she got tired and overwhelmed. Her children, servants, and even her husband worked her nerves. She, like the rest of us, is flawed. But she maintains her integrity and her virtue despite how she feels or what happens around her. She recognized her value and understood its importance concerning others. She maintains her Godly character. To be a good wife, a good mother...to be a good woman, that is what we must strive to do.
Let us be more like this virtuous woman and always remember to work hard (vs 13); make good use of our time (vs 14); be fair, honest, well prepared (vs 15-18); generous (vs 20) and strong (vs 25).
When everything around us is begging, taunting us to do what we want to do, let's think about this priceless woman and remember that we are wise, hopeful, kind (vs 25-26); we have a spirit of excellence (vs 29); and, we love God (vs 30) and walk in the gift He has given us (vs 31).
Shine and sparkle, beautiful lady; be the priceless gem God has designed you to be.
No comments:
Post a Comment