Monday, August 22, 2011

Stuck in the Center

There's a storm out on the ocean, and it's moving this-a way. If your soul's not anchored in Jesus, you will surely drift away...

Yesterday, my pastor preached about making the right decisions, which was confirmation for me because God has been dealing with me on just that. I asked God not too long ago to help me make better choices. As I sat and listened yesterday I started thinking about both the good and bad choices that I've made in my life, especially since I've been a believer. I'm still under construction so I'll admit that I've made bad choices since I've been saved. I started to wonder about what would have happened if I had taken a different path with some of these choices. Who would have been adversely affect if some of my good choices were not made? And who would have been positively impacted if my bad choices were not made?

While humming that song this morning, God revealed something to me: When you're outside the will of God, you get what you get. Whether it's a job, a financial decision/major purchase, who you choose to marry... You may as well roll the dice and hope for the best. It is basically the same thing. Yet when your "soul is anchored in Jesus" every decision you make is grounded in Him.  I had a dream about three and a half years ago regarding two major decisions that I needed to make.  Impulsively acting on one decision caused me to wait regarding the other.

I did not realize that:
A). I would be still be suffering the consequences of the bad decision I made
and
B). I would still be waiting concerning the other.
I used to think that both consequence were equally bad because I don't like to wait, especially for an extended length of time. Waiting is okay if it's just for a little while...at least that's what I used to tell myself. Finally, I've learned something from my bad decision. Every time it seems like it's time to act on that situation still waiting in the wings, I remember my  impulsive behavior and tell myself, "Just sit tight for a little while longer." The anchor of God's wisdom keeps me in place.

As long as we focus on the storm, of course it's going to seem like it lasts forever. But if we concentrate on what's keeping us from "drifting away," well, then...the storm, no matter how bad, seems bearable. When you know you aren't going anywhere you dig in and go through.

I'll leave you with these parting thoughts.One is the main thing that stuck out from yesterday's sermon: be willing to wait for God to give you His best.  The other is a scripture that I wasn't looking for but was apparently looking for me: And so after he had patiently endured, he obtained the promise (Hebrew 6:15).

No comments:

Post a Comment