Sometimes I feel like an eager athlete: "Put me in Coah, I'm ready!"
Not yet. It’s not time. If I put you in too soon, it’ll ruin the game plan.“But I’m ready, I know it.”
Trust me. You’ll have your chance.I return to the sideline, still eager, still excited. Cheering on my teammates who are in the game and encouraging those who are waiting on the sideline like me. A game passes, then another; and before you know it, the season ends. But it’s okay. Coach said I’d get my chance. In the meantime I work—getting stronger and stronger everyday—preparing for the next season. The time has come and it’s a new season, a new opportunity. I’m still eager, still optimistic. But again nothing happens…
“What happened, Coach? When will I get my chance?”
In due time; trust me.“But I don’t understand—”
I know. But I’m looking at the big picture. You’ve made some wonderful progress since last year, but you still aren’t quite ready yet. But you will be soon. Just hold on a while longer.Soon confusion and frustration set in. People around me begin to fuel what began as a spark and turned into a fire: “I wouldn’t take that if I were you,” one said. “You’ve been busting your butt all this time, and for what? To sit on the sidelines again?” said another. I was beginning to think that they were right. What was the point? Why keep giving 110 percent only to stand by and watch others get in the game. So I quit. I quit giving my all. I quit believing what the Coach said. I quit encouraging those around me. Soon it was evident that something in me had changed. I played it off like nothing was wrong but the person who really knew me, my Coach, knew the truth.
One day he called me into his office.
I know what’s going on with you. I’ve noticed the change and whether you realize it or not, it’s affecting the entire team.“I’ve given my all for so long but I don’t have anything to show for it. You keep telling me to wait so I wait. But how long do I have to wait? Season after season, it’s the same thing. I’m tired of preparing for something that isn’t going to happen.”
So it’s been all about you all this time?“No but…”
But what? I’ve watched you these past few years. At first you weren’t too sure of yourself. Not knowing which position would best suit you but after a while you discovered what you were good at and then there was no stopping you. I’ve watched you grow. I’ve seen how strong you’re becoming. And you don’t realize this but your team also saw you. They were encouraged by you. They saw how you never gave up. How you always gave your all no matter what. Don’t you think that’s important?“Yeah, I guess…”
Well that’s your job for the moment. Have I ever given you a set time to get in the game? Have I ever led you to believe that you wouldn’t get in?“No, Coach. You wouldn’t do something like that. It’s my fault, I’m sorry. I just assumed that since you told me I would play, that meant right away. Forgive me for not trusting You. I promise from this moment on, I’ll leave everything in Your control. And you know something, Coach? I’m not ready to get in the game now because lately, I’ve neglected myself. I haven’t been working hard that way I once did. I’m willing to start over if You’re will to give me another chance.”
Of course I’ll give you another chance. As long as you’re willing, I’ll give you as many chances you need.“Thank You, Coach…"

No comments:
Post a Comment