Monday, June 6, 2011

Busted!

As I trudge to and from work during this relentless heatwave and muse about the highly publicized miscalculation of the rapture (lol), I've begun to ask myself the question, "Is this what I want to be caught doing when Jesus comes for me?" ("This" being any thought, action, or deed that you may or may not perform on a regular basis). And since we can't pinpoint the day or the hour, it behooves us to live what some call "rapture ready." I guarantee if you ask yourself this question, you'll certainly think twice about what you do.

What if I were...
  •  Taking my third or fourth shot of tequila?
  • Committing sexual immorality?
  • Cussing someone out (secretly or out loud)?
  • Being unkind, impatient, and/or impassionate?
  • Being judgemental?
If that were the case, chances are I would have to catch Jesus on the "next go round." Instead, I want to be caught doing something so that I can be caught up to meet Him in the air. I could go on and on about little daily actions that may not seem wrong but may be something that God can't get glory from.

I've always believed that one's salvation is personal. I wasn't beat all night; I didn't hang on a cross, wasn't spat on, or pierced in my side so I can't judge you or your actions. All I can do is urge you to ask yourself the above question. Sometimes we get so wrapped up in how others see us that we tend to forget that the only view that matters is God's. I tell people all the time that my salvation is a day to day process and I am a work in progress. I remember when I first got saved. I read my bible every, single night; no matter how tired I was or how late I got in. I stopped listening to secular music; went to church EVERY Sunday (did I mention that I was in college when I got saved? Yeah, college). I was definitely "rapture ready" back then.

I realized not too long ago that somewhere along the way I had become complacent. I started telling myself that it didn't take all that to live right. I could do this and do that and still be sanctified. I got lazy and I spent way too much time as an adolescent saint...it was time to grow up. I was the one who asked the Lord to come into my heart and my life, then I treated Him like an unwelcomed guest who had overstayed his welcome. God wasn't satisfied and neither was I...eventually.

So I went to God again, contrite, embarrassed, and very repentant and I stayed on my face--tears falling, heart breaking then mending again--until I started to feel how I did all those years ago. Turns out it does take all of that - and sometimes more. I love how God meets us at our point of need. I know what I can comfortably do. (FYI: it is possible to live holy and still have fun). And during those times when I ignore what God says no to, He lovingly intervenes and thwarts my plan. And that's fine with me...

I've heard, "Take delight in the Lord and He will give you your heart's desire" (Psalm 37:4 NLT) so many times that my mind would go into Charlie Brown's teacher mode (but that's another post for another day). But now I understand: He is all that matters, nothing else. "Lord where have You been?" Here. All the time, and I've missed you  Awww...

So I'll be delighting when He comes...what about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment