Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Are You In Good Hands?

 All drivers are one of the following: one who has full coverage, one with liability only, or the dreaded uninsured. I have been all three. I remember when I had proof of insurance but no real insurance to speak of and it was only by God's grace and favor that I was not pulled over for speeding, involved in an accident, or was caught in a checkpoint during my brief stint in "uninsured-dom." If you think about it, don't we take just a few more risks, knowing that we are fully covered? We drive a little faster; we don't allow aggressive drivers scare us by flashing high beams or riding our bumpers; we smile and hold a conversation with the officer checking for valid driver's license and proof of insurance. We're copacetic...all is cool. We're covered!

I have been thinking of a scripture all day, Galatians 2:21 which states,  I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain (KJV). I love how the NLT Bible words it: I do not treat the grace of God as meaningless. For if keeping the law could make us right with God, then there was no need for Christ to die.

I try so hard to be a good christian, yet sometimes I fall short. I consider myself a good person yet I realize that being a good person isn't good enough. I must be a Godly person; I've got to be a good representation of Christ. I think that as long as we try, God continues to extend grace to us. But He doesn't stop there, He extends grace to those who aren't trying and to those who once tried, succeed, failed, then gave up. God loves it when we're good but he loves it even more when we're His.

Have you ever known a nice person who may have died suddenly? You wonder if that person had accepted God as his or her personal savior. Then you wonder if you should have shared your love of God with them and hoped that they wanted the same for themselves.

Have you ever been around people who say, "I'm saved" yet the life they live is contrary to the bible? I think about myself when I was pretending to have insurance with that card that basically had no power. And I've been in that place from a spiritual perspective - on the outside I looked all good-n-holy, yet I struggled with secret sins, things that couldn't be recorded such as my heart not being right and willfully disobeying God. Eventually I grew tired of being uncovered--both literally and spiritually.

No Insurance: I had no relationship with God, did my thing and lived it up.

Liability Only: I got saved and you know how it is with baby saints, still learning what is and what isn't okay.

Proof without Insurance:  on the outside, I still looked saved but wasn't really going the distance.

Finally I wised up and got Full Coverage, sure it cost more but it also offers more benefits. What was it costing me to profess holiness and actually be holy? A few friends who didn't really love me in the first place? Benefit, a Friend who sticks closer than a brother (Proverbs 18:24) The inability to do everything I wanted to do? Benefit: learning to be less carnal (1 Corinthians 15:31).

Don't we have more confidence when we are fully covered? There's an extra pep in our step. Our smile is just that much brighter. Consider this: how secure are we with the lives we live, knowing without question that when this earth passes away, that there's a mansion in heaven waiting...that's what I call Awesome coverage and can only be given by the Ultimate Insurer.

Check your insurance, is it sufficient or do you need an upgrade?

3 comments:

  1. If you would like to post a comment and you don't have a google account, please choose the "Name/URL" option and type the URL for your email account (example: yahoo, aol, mns...)
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that you're back. Thanks for the daily inspirations!

    ReplyDelete